March 2nd - Saguaro Lake (Butcher Jones)
April 6th - Lake Pleasant (Paddlefest - Fireman's Cove)
June 22nd (Night) - Bartlett Lake (Jojoba Boat Ramp)
August 17th - Roosevelt Lake (Ringtail Boat Ramp)
September 28th - Canyon Lake (Acacia)
October 26th - Saguaro Lake (Butcher Jones)
Final event in November Paddlefest in Havasu, date TBD.
The day time tournaments - all but one on 2019 - start at first safe light in the morning. The night tournament in June starts around 6pm. All run 6 hours. Things can change, so check out our Facebook page for the latest updates, or give us a call at Arizona's Kayak Fishing HQ 480-348-8917!
Here are the general rules:
$150/$75/$50 Cash Prizes and Plaques
Raffle for new Hobie Outback
Mystery Fish prize each event
Angler of Year Points
• There are no entry fees to participate.
• Anglers must be registered before each tournament launch begins. Each event will have its own Facebook Event page, and there will be an advanced signup opportunity on EventBrite. You can also register at the time of event on site, but it's best to do so in advance. Anglers must be at pre-tournament check-in for review of eligibility, signing of waivers and rules acknowledgement. You will receive a scorecard to use as an identifier for photos. All participants subject to inclusion in event-related photos.
• Catch, Photo and Release - Grand total of your top 3 longest measured Largemouth or Smallmouth Bass
• First three positions place: First Place awarded $150; Second $75; Third $50. Each receives a plaque. Each placing winner has the responsibility to share at least one successful technique that led to their catch with other participants as part of the educational purpose of this event.
• Side, optional pools are usually available for big and small fish. New this year at some events is a prize for the recorded catch that is closest to a “Mystery Fish” announced at each event. For example, whoever records a catch closest to 14.75” wins this prize. Tie-breaker will be the time caught. We also have random drawing amoug teh attendees for various fishing goodies.
• Every participant will receive a raffle ticket for a season-ending drawing for a new Hobie Outback. See additional rules for this prize at the end of this rules list.
• Participating anglers must be 18 or older or accompanied by an adult.
• Anglers must follow all AZ Game and Fish and event locale rules.
• Only motorless watercraft allowed, single or tandem. Each angler must be registered as an individual participant and no pooling of catches allowed.
• No live bait; artificial lures only
• No fishing in designated off-limits areas
• No use of alcohol or drugs during event
• Bass - facing left on Hawg Trough, dorsal fin toward top of photo, tail centered and in a relaxed, un-pinched condition, mouth completely closed - with jaw / lip touching fence of measuring board.
• Bass length is determined by its tail touching or crossing a quarter-inch line on the measuring board.
• If it falls short of a line, the length is rounded down to nearest 1/4 inch mark
• Tie breakers - biggest bass in group if still tied, then earliest timestamp on photo of biggest bass in group
• All Bass must be caught on rod, reel, line and hook only. An angler may only have one line in the water at a time.
• Digital photographs of each bass submitted must meet these requirements:
• Unique - one photo for each bass caught
• Legible - photo must be clear enough to read identifier and judge length accurately
• Eligible - photo must have been created within the official competition start and end times
• Kayak clearly visible in photo
• No late returns - must be out of water at launch point by stated end time - otherwise you are disqualified
• Additional rules if applicable will be covered at the event. Any disputes resolved solely at discretion of Lowergear.
Angler of Year – Points system winner acknowledged with special plaque at end of the regular season (PHX area) events in 2019. All anglers who catch a fish at any event earn AOY points. Winner of an event receives a point total equal to the number of registered participants in that event; 2nd Place earns a point total equal to the number of participants minus 1; 3rd place -2, etc and on down the line. Angler with most points at end of series is Angler of Year, with a personalized plaque recognition.
The last event for the season is at Lake Havasu, and is a combines tourney with our sister shop (Southwest Kayaks) and tournament series based in Havasu.
Hobie prize rules – At the end of each event - at both the PHX and Havasu series – each participant will earn a raffle ticket onto which we will write their name and drop in the ticket bowl. At the season-ending event coinciding with Paddlefest in November in Lake Havasu, we will draw from all collected raffle tickets between the 2 series and award the winner a new 2019 or 2020 (model year depending on availability at that time) Hobie Outback, which currently retails at a minimum of $2799. Alternatively the winner can apply the value of the awarded Outback toward a Pro Angler if preferred. The more times you participate in the tournament events, the more tickets are entered with your name and the better your chances to win. There are 2 qualifiers to be a winner – you must have entered in at least 2 events, and you must be at Paddlefest in November to claim your prize. There will be another kayak given away at Paddlefest as part of the poker run.