Clear water rushing down the mountain stream might look tempting, but the reality is it might be full of nasty bugs that can create havoc inside you. Big havoc. We detail several ways to treat water
, but a very common method is using a pump or gravity style filter that runs the water through a tight carbon or membrane element to remove those nasty bugs like giardia, cryptosporidium, other bacteria and sediment. These filters won't remove all viruses, but that's not the problem in North America.
Katadyn has been the brand of choice of backpackers and hikers for many decades, and we carry several of their models in our store. Two popular ones you can select from here online include:
Traditional pump style. Rugged design takes a beating without losing function. Replace filter after about 700 liters or when becomes difficult to pump.
- • Filter physically removes particles, protozoa, and bacteria down to 0.2 microns in size, including giardia, salmonella, cryptosporidia and others
- • Glass-fiber element is pleated for increased surface area to handle silt and muddy water
- • Activated-carbon core absorbs chemicals and pesticides to improve taste of water
- • Approximately 48 strokes per minute to filter 1 liter
- • Use of the pre-filter to remove larger contaminants before they reach the main housing will extend filter life
- • Included adapter allows the filter output hose to attach to most quick-connect fittings
- • Carry sack and bottle adapter for most water bottles
- • Weighs only 11 ounces
BeFree Water Filtration System (3 liter)
Let gravity do the filtering and collapse the flask when it's not needed. Fill it up with dirty water and drink direct from the nozzle or transfer into another bladder or bottle.
- • Easy to use: fill and hang the rugged, BPA-free bladder from its loop to filter up to 2 liters per minute by gravity feed
- • Easy to clean: simply shake or swish the EZ-Clean Membrane filter to remove debris
- • 0.1-micron microfilter is tested to protect against harmful organisms, removing protozoa (99.99%) and bacteria (99.9999%) to EPA standards
- • Tested to 1,000 liters; individual results will depend on water quality
If you just need a one-time use, consider renting one of our back-country water filters